FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot access the internet via the FRITZ!Box
Although the FRITZ!Box is configured to access the internet via the mobile network or a DSL line, computers, smartphones, or other devices connected to it cannot access the internet.
One of the following error messages may be displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the respective computer:
- "No LTE network was found within range."
- "Could not establish LTE connection. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check the APN settings."
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Important:If you are using your FRITZ!Box with an additional DSL, cable, or fiber optic modem, proceed as described in this guide.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Internet connection" from the drop-down list.
- Check whether error messages are displayed.
- If one of the following error messages is displayed, follow the instructions in the corresponding guide:
- FRITZ!Box reports "No LTE network was found within range" ("Power" LED flashes)
- FRITZ!Box reports "DSL not responding" ("Power" LED flashes)
- FRITZ!Box reports that the mobile connection drops frequently
- FRITZ!Box reports that the DSL connection drops frequently
- FRITZ!Box reports "PPPoE error"
- FRITZ!Box reports "Log in with internet service provider failed"
- If the message "Could not establish the LTE connection. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check the APN settings" is displayed:
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Select your mobile network operator from the drop-down list "Internet service provider". If your provider is listed several times, select the entry that corresponds to your plan. If your mobile network operator is not displayed in the drop-down list:
- Select "Other internet service provider" from the drop-down list.
- Enable the option "Specify access point name (APN)" and for "Access point" enter the access point name for your mobile network operator. Your provider can provide you with information on the access point name.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
3 Configuring a network device as a DHCP client
To ensure that the network device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it is configured as a DHCP client (this is the standard setting for most devices and operating systems):
- Configure the network device to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
4 Configuring the Internet Explorer
Perform the following step only if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and it displays the message "Web page unavailable while offline":
- Start the Internet Explorer.
- Open the "Tools" menu.
- If the menu "Work Offline" entry is displayed and there is a checkmark in front of it, click this entry to remove the checkmark.
- Click the "Internet Options" menu entry and then "Connections".
- Enable the option "Never dial a connection".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
5 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the firewall on the computer so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
6 Installing the latest software for network adapters
- Install the latest driver for your computer's network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).