FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
FRITZ!Box reports "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth"
The speed of the wireless connection (WiFi) to the FRITZ!Box displayed by wireless devices such as computers, smartphones, or tablets, is significantly lower than the data rate allowed by the wireless standard 802.11n. The following message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
- "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth (2.4 GHz)"
- The FRITZ!Box recognizes when the wireless channels it uses in the 2.4 GHz frequency band are in heavy use by other wireless networks. To ensure stable wireless connections, it automatically reduces the channel bandwidth from 40 MHz to 20 MHz. This FRITZ!Box behavior is conform to wireless coexistence, which is part of the wireless standard 802.11n. Although wireless devices then display a lower data rate, the user data rate is increased because there is less interference and the wireless connection is no longer affected by constant retransmissions.
1 Enabling or refreshing the auto channel
The auto channel function allows the FRITZ!Box to check the wireless environment and automatically select the best wireless channel settings. However, since the wireless environment is constantly changing and the FRITZ!Box cannot check again as long as wireless devices are connected to it, you can also refresh the auto channel manually:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Channel" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the option "Set radio channel settings automatically (recommended)".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Note:When the auto channel is enabled and refreshed, all wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are briefly cleared and then automatically reestablished.
- Click the "Refresh Auto Channel" button.
Now wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box are established with the maximum possible data rate.
Note:If the message "Wireless LAN transmission quality increased by reduced channel bandwidth [...]" is still displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box, this is due to the heavy use by wireless networks in the vicinity.