FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
DSL connection drops frequently
The DSL connection between the FRITZ!Box and your DSL provider's exchange drops several times a day. When this occurs, the "Power" LED on the FRITZ!Box flashes and stays lit as soon as the internet connection has been re-established.
If you have a DSL line with an additional analog landline, this issue may occur very often when you accept a call to your landline number or make a call from your landline.
The following error message is displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box:
"DSL not responding (no DSL synchronization)
DSL synchronization starting (training)"
- The stability of the DSL connection primarily depends on the length and quality of the access line. Faults in the cabling or problems with the internet service provider's exchange (DSLAM) can also affect it.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Check whether events also took place before the time when the error occurred, or whether only events are shown that took place after the error occurred.
- If events are also displayed that took place before the time the error occurred, proceed with the following section:
- If only events that took place after the error are displayed, follow the instructions given in our guide FRITZ!Box restarts occasionally.
2 Checking the cabling
It is often difficult to recognize mistakes in the cabling and they can remain unnoticed for a long time. Therefore, check the wiring in your home:
- Remove the DSL splitter if you are using the FRITZ!Box on an IP-based connection.
- Remove all cable extensions, unused cables, telephone jacks, and additional electrical components (for example surge protection, automatic extension outlets).
- Make sure that the FRITZ!Box is correctly connected to your DSL line. You will find detailed instructions on the installation poster included with the FRITZ!Box and in the manual.
3 Using a different DSL version
The DSL version of the FRITZ!Box undergoes constant development with each FRITZ!OS to ensure that it can establish optimal DSL connections under all circumstances. In individual cases (for example on DSL lines with outdated DSLAMs) the FRITZ!Box may only be able to establish a stable DSL connection with certain DSL versions. Therefore, test the current and the previous DSL version:
Using the latest FRITZ!OS
The DSL version is part of FRITZ!OS. Make sure that the FRITZ!Box is using the latest FRITZ!OS and therefore the latest DSL version:
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
Using the previous DSL version
If the issue occurs with the latest DSL version (for example after updating FRITZ!OS), test the DSL version of the previous FRITZ!OS:
Now the previous DSL version is enabled and the FRITZ!Box is restarted. The restart will take about two minutes. If the problem no longer occurs then, please send us brief feedback on your FRITZ!Box's synchronization method under "Internet > DSL Information > Feedback".
4 Increasing the interference resistance
Increase the interference resistance of your DSL connection; this reduces the number of interruptions of the DSL connection due to brief disturbances on the DSL line:
Note:Increasing the interference resistance of the DSL connection can slightly reduce the throughput of the DSL connection.
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "DSL Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Line Settings" tab. If the tab is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Next to "Intended signal-to-noise ratio" under "Receive direction", move the setting one step farther to the left towards "Maximum stability".
Important:If you move the controls too far towards "Maximum stability", with some DSL lines you may no longer be able to establish a DSL connection. Therefore, do not select the setting "Maximum stability" right away. Instead, push the control gradually to the left to determine the best setting for your DSL line.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- If the DSL connection continues to drop frequently, repeat steps 4 - 6 until the DSL connection is stable.
5 Checking the DSL line
There may be a problem with the DSL line. Since it may take a while for your DSL provider to check your line, you may be charged for the service, and our experience shows that there is often a problem with DSL lines even if they have been checked by your provider, proceed as follows:
- Disconnect the FRITZ!Box from the DSL line.
- Connect a different DSL modem to the DSL line.
- Test whether the DSL connection remains stable when you use this DSL modem.
- If the connection continues to drop, have your provider check your line. There is a problem with the DSL line.
ATTENTION!You may be charged for checking. Ask your provider about charges in advance!