FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
Connecting the FRITZ!Box with the Mesh Repeater (cascading)
You can cascade several Mesh Repeaters in the Mesh. This type of cascading makes it possible for you to extend your home network in a specific direction beyond the wireless range of a Mesh Repeater.
This means that in addition to connecting your FRITZ!Box with the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), you can also connect it with an already existing Mesh Repeater. It does not matter whether the Mesh Repeater is another FRITZ!Box, a FRITZ!Repeater, or a FRITZ!Powerline adapter.
In this guide we show you how to connect your new FRITZ!Box with an already existing Mesh Repeater.
Fig.: Example of wireless cascading with FRITZ!Repeater and FRITZ!Box
Requirements / Restrictions
- The existing Mesh Repeater is connected with the Mesh Master and is marked with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
- Use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box that you want to integrate into the Mesh for the first time.
- If the computer is already connected to another device in the home network, clear that connection.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Box as an additional Mesh Repeater
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click on "Mesh Networking" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Mesh Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Mesh Repeater" in the "Mesh Operating Mode" section.
- Enable the option "This FRITZ!Box is a network device (IP client) in the home network [...]".
- If you want to use a network cable to connect the new FRITZ!Box to the existing Mesh Repeater:
- Enable the option "via LAN".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
- Use a network cable to connect the "WAN" port on the new FRITZ!Box either directly to a LAN port on the Mesh Repeater, or by means of a hub or switch.
- If you want to use wireless LAN to connect the new FRITZ!Box to the existing Mesh Repeater:
- Enable the option "via wireless LAN".
- In the table, use the MAC address to select the wireless network of the Mesh Repeater.
Note:You can find the MAC address under "Wireless > Radio Network" in the user interface of the Mesh Repeater.
- Enter the Mesh Repeater's network key in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
3 Integrating the FRITZ!Box into the Mesh at the touch of a button
To integrate the new FRITZ!Box into the Mesh, you simply have to push a button on the new FRITZ!Box and the Mesh Master. Then the new FRITZ!Box is automatically integrated into the Mesh via the network connection to the Mesh Master:
- Push and hold down the connect button on the new FRITZ!Box (see table) until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED (see table) lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 6890, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560 WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7581 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the new FRITZ!Box with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
4 Setting up telephony in the Mesh
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the Mesh Master with telephones connected to the new FRITZ!Box:
5 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
If the new FRITZ!Box is connected to the existing Mesh Repeater via wireless LAN:
- Place the FRITZ!Box where the quality of the Mesh Repeater's wireless signal is good.
Note:You can use FRITZ!App WLAN to find the ideal place for the repeater.