FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box reports "The update failed" when adding a telephone book
You cannot add the address book from an email account (online contacts). One of the following error messages is displayed when the telephone book is updated:
- "The update failed. Please check the user data. (13, 14, 17)"
- "The online telephone book could not be refreshed."
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Telephone book contains too many entries
The telephone book may contain a maximum of 1000 entries. If you use Google Contacts, the contact groups "My Contacts" and "Other Contacts" are synchronized. The total number of entries in both of these groups may therefore not exceed 1000 entries.
2 Telephone book does not contain any telephone numbers
The FRITZ!Box only imports contacts that contain telephone numbers. Since telephone books that only contain email addresses are not imported, at least one entry must contain a telephone number.
3 Deleting a telephone book and setting it up again
Deleting a telephone book
- Click "Telephony" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Telephone Book" in the "Telephony" menu.
- Switch to the telephone book for your email account.
- Click the (Delete) button and then "OK".
Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
Setting up a telephone book again
- Set up the telephone book in the FRITZ!Box.
4 Contacting your provider
If you still cannot add the contacts, either your account information is not entered correctly, or there is a problem with your provider:
- Contact your email provider.