FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Cannot access the internet via the FRITZ!Box
Although the FRITZ!Box is configured to access the internet via the LTE network, computers, smartphones, or other devices connected to it cannot access the internet.
One of the following error messages might be displayed in the event log of the FRITZ!Box or the "Network and Sharing Center" for the computer:
- "No LTE network was found within range."
- "Could not establish LTE connection. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check the APN settings."
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No internet access"
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Checking the event log of the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Event Log" in the "System" menu.
- Select "Internet connection" from the drop-down list.
- Check whether error messages are displayed.
- If one of the following error messages is displayed, follow the instructions in the corresponding guide:
- If the message "Could not establish the LTE connection. Reason: ESM_FAILURE. Please check the APN settings" is displayed:
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Select your LTE provider from the drop-down list "Internet service provider". If your LTE provider is listed several times, select the entry that corresponds to your plan. If your LTE provider is not displayed in the drop-down list:
- Select "Other internet service provider" from the drop-down list.
- Enable the option "Specify access point name (APN)" and for "Access point" enter the access point name for your LTE provider. Refer to your LTE provider for information on the access point name.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, reenable it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
3 Configuring the device to automatically obtain IP settings
To ensure that the device always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it automatically obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box (this is the standard setting for most devices):
- Configure the device to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
4 Configuring the Internet Explorer
Perform the following step only if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer and it displays the message "Web page unavailable while offline":
- Start the Internet Explorer.
- Open the "Tools" menu.
- If the menu "Work Offline" entry is displayed and there is a checkmark in front of it, click this entry to remove the checkmark.
- Click the "Internet Options" menu entry and then "Connections".
- Enable the option "Never dial a connection".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
5 Configuring the computer's firewall
A firewall can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the firewall on the computer so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
6 Installing the latest software for network adapters
- Install the latest driver for your computer's network adapter or the latest software for the respective device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).