FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
No DNS resolution of private IP addresses
The FRITZ!Box cannot be used for DNS resolution of domain names that point to private IP addresses in the FRITZ!Box home network. This means that the domain name cannot be used to access server services in the FRITZ!Box home network. One of the following error messages may be displayed:
- "DNS timed out"
- "DNS request timed out"
A computer in the FRITZ!Box home network (192.168.178.29) cannot access a web server in the same home network because the DNS request for this web server (my-domain.com) is answered with an IP address in the same home network (192.168.178.20).
- For security reasons, the FRITZ!Box suppresses DNS responses that refer to IP addresses in its own home network. This is a security function of the FRITZ!Box to protect against what are known as DNS rebinding attacks.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring exceptions for DNS rebind protection
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- In the "Domain name exceptions" field in the "DNS Rebind Protection" section, enter the complete domain name (with subdomain, if applicable) or CNAME for which DNS rebind protection should not apply. If the field is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- If you want to define exceptions for several domain names, enter the domain names separated by a line break.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
Now DNS requests for domain names contained in the list of exceptions will receive a response even if the DNS response points to an IP address in the FRITZ!Box home network.
Important:If you configure exceptions for DNS rebind protection in the FRITZ!Box, you should use a firewall on every computer in the home network.