FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
Using an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in the FRITZ!Box home network
You can easily connect an iPhone, an iPad, or an iPod touch from Apple to the wireless network (WiFi) of your FRITZ!Box. The iOS device can then access the Internet and play multimedia contents such as photos, videos, and music.
Note:Here we show you how to connect an Apple iPhone, iPad or iPod touch to the FRITZ!Box using an iPhone 5 with iOS 9 as an example.
Changing the name of the wireless network (SSID)
The following step is only necessary if the name of the wireless network (SSID) of your FRITZ!Box contains special characters, letters with umlauts, or accented letters:
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enter a name of your choice that does not contain special characters in the field "Name of the wireless radio network (SSID)".
Important:Not all wireless devices support all special characters. Therefore, only use standard Latin letters (not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, á, é, í) and numbers in the wireless network name.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Enabling the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Connecting the iOS device to the FRITZ!Box
- Tap "Settings" on the home screen.
- Tap "Wi-Fi" in the "Settings" menu.
- If wireless LAN is turned off, tap the "On / Off" icon.
- Under "Choose a network..." tap the name of the FRITZ!Box's wireless network (SSID) (see fig.).
Note:If you do not know the name of the wireless network (SSID) and the network key for your FRITZ!Box, determine your FRITZ!Box's wireless settings.
Fig.: Selecting FRITZ!Box's wireless network
- Enter the FRITZ!Box's network key in the "Password" field and tap "Join".
Now the iOS device is connected to the Internet via the FRITZ!Box. It can play multimedia contents from media servers in the home network with suitable apps, for example.
3 Using an iOS device with the FRITZ!Box
Accessing the FRITZ!Box over the Internet
The following step is only necessary if you would like to securely access your FRITZ!Box or a USB storage device connected to the FRITZ!Box, or control your smart home devices over the Internet when you are away from home:
The following step is only necessary if you would like to securely access your FRITZ!Box or control your smart home devices over the Internet when you are away from home:
- Set up MyFRITZ!App.
Setting up a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if you would like to use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to establish a securely encrypted network connection to your FRITZ!Box and to the network devices or services in the home network using your iOS device's Internet connection:
Note:Whenever a VPN connection is active, all Internet queries are routed over the FRITZ!Box. This means that even when using your iOS device in public wireless hotspots, you will have tap-proof und tamperproof access to all web services, such as e-mail or online banking.
- Configure a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box.