FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
Why can the FRITZ!Box user interface only be opened using the emergency IP address?
Normally you can open the FRITZ!Box user interface by entering http://fritz.box and the emergency IP address http://169.254.1.1 in a web browser. The emergency IP can even be used with the FRITZ!Box if you assigned your own IP addresses and forgot the IP address you assigned to your FRITZ!Box, for example. The same functions are also available if you use the emergency IP address to open the user interface instead of fritz.box.
In the following, we list all of the measures we know of that will allow you to enter fritz.box to open the user interface again. Follow the steps in order; after each step, check whether you can then open it. You can also continue to use the emergency IP 169.254.1.1 and still use all of the FRITZ!Box functions.
- Call up the address http://169.254.1.1 in a web browser.
- Click "Home Network" and then "Home Network Overview".
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
1 DHCP Client service in Windows is not enabled
If the "DHCP Client" service was disabled in Windows, then the FRITZ!Box cannot respond to http://fritz.box:
- Open the Control Panel in Windows (use the search field or select "Start > Control Panel").
- Select "Category" from the drop-down list "View by:" on the top right ().
- Click "System and Security" and then "Administrative Tools".
- Double-click the entry "Services".
- Double-click on the entry "DHCP Client" displayed in the "Name" column.
- Select "Automatic" as the startup type.
- Click "Start" (if available) and then "OK" or "Apply".
- Restart your computer.
2 Firewall and security software are interfering with communication
Firewalls and security software can interfere with the communication between the computer and the FRITZ!Box:
- Temporarily uninstall firewalls and security software, such as Internet Security 2017 from Kaspersky.
- Check whether you are now able to open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- If you are now able to open the user interface, then security software was preventing it from opening. Reinstall the software and configure the software so that it allows connections from the computer to the FRITZ!Box. Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.