FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
A Windows user can access the Internet although access is blocked by parental controls
A Windows user can access the Internet although access for this user is blocked by the FRITZ!Box parental controls function and the FRITZ!Box Child Protection software is installed on his/her computer.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Preventing users from using guest access to bypass parental controls
Block the access profile assigned to the Windows user from using guest access so that the user cannot switch to guest access in order to bypass parental controls:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (edit) button for the profile being used by that particular user.
- Enable the option "Use of guest access blocked".
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.
2 Creating a new Windows user account
If you change the user name of an existing Windows user, Windows retains its original user name for internal purposes. The original user name is therefore transmitted to the FRITZ!Box every time that user accesses the Internet, which means that the restrictions you configured (for the new user name) do not apply.
- Create a new Windows user account for that Windows user on the computer. Should you have questions, contact Microsoft.
- Set up parental controls for the new Windows user account in the FRITZ!Box.
3 Restricting Internet access for computers
Some firewalls and other security software continuously filter the computer's entire network communication, even when this software is deactivated. The local Windows system account is used for this purpose; each time the Internet is accessed, they transmit the user name of the system account (usually "System") to the FRITZ!Box instead of the Windows user who is currently logged on.
If you would like to restrict Internet access for such a computer, do not configure restrictions for individual Windows users:
- Use the FRITZ!Box parental controls to restrict Internet access for the computer itself.