FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
FRITZ!VPN cannot establish a VPN connection to FRITZ!Box
You cannot establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box using the FRITZ!VPN software. One of the following error messages may be displayed in FRITZ!VPN's journal:
- "Timeout, could not contact the remote site."
- "Could not resolve the name of the remote site."
- "The VPN connection cannot be established because FRITZ!VPN could not find any active connection to the internet. Please connect to the internet first."
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Checking whether a public IP address was obtained
You can only establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box if the FRITZ!Box obtains a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider when it establishes an internet connection:
- Check the address range of the IPv4 address that the internet service provider assigned to the FRITZ!Box.
- If the FRITZ!Box obtained a public IPv4 address, proceed with the following section.
- If the FRITZ!Box obtained a private IPv4 address, you cannot establish VPN connections to the FRITZ!Box.
2 Checking the login status of the FRITZ!Box's domain name
If the VPN connection occasionally cannot be established, then there may be an issue with the MyFRITZ! or dynamic DNS service. Therefore, check whether the FRITZ!Box is successfully logged into MyFRITZ! or the dynamic DNS service when you attempt to establish the VPN connection:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Online Monitor" in the "Internet" menu.
- If MyFRITZ! is enabled or dynamic DNS is "logged on successfully", proceed with the following section.
- If MyFRITZ! is not enabled or "logged on successfully" is not displayed for dynamic DNS, wait until the technical issues have been resolved and try to establish the VPN connection at a later time. If there is a permanent error, reconfigure the MyFRITZ! or dynamic DNS account, or refer to the corresponding provider.
3 Mobile Broadband Driver is not supported
The FRITZ!VPN software currently cannot be used with the Mobile Broadband Driver for Windows 8 / 7 or Huawei ("HUAWEI Mobile Connect"). If the internet connection is established by a mobile broadband modem or a mobile broadband dongle that complies with the LTE or UMTS mobile standard, and the modem or dongle uses this driver, you cannot establish a VPN connection with FRITZ!VPN.
You can use the FRITZ!VPN software if the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle can also be used without a Mobile Broadband Driver:
- Configure the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle so that it uses a driver other than the Mobile Broadband Driver from Windows 8 / 7 or from Huawei, for example a "WAN-Miniport(IP)" driver.
Note:Refer to the manufacturer for information on using the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle with other drivers, for example consult the manual.
4 Configuring a firewall for FRITZ!VPN
If there is a firewall installed on the computer with FRITZ!VPN or if the computer is protected by a NAT router with a firewall, before you can establish a VPN connection you may have to share the ports and IP protocols in the firewall that are required by FRITZ!VPN:
- Configure the firewall for FRITZ!VPN.
5 Adjusting the IP networks
In order for VPN communication to occur, the computer with FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box must use different IP networks. If the computer with FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box are in the same IP network, you must either adapt the IP settings of the computer with FRITZ!VPN or the IP network of the FRITZ!Box:
The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) in the factory settings; this means that it uses the IP network 192.168.178.0.
If the computer with FRITZ!VPN receives the IP address 192.168.20.13 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) via DHCP, then it is located in the IP network 192.168.20.0 and can establish VPN connections to the FRITZ!Box.
If the computer with FRITZ!VPN is also connected to a FRITZ!Box and both FRITZ!Boxes use the IP network 192.168.178.0, then VPN connections cannot be established.
Adjusting the IP settings of the computer with FRITZ!VPN
- Adjust the IP network of the router (for example FRITZ!Box) that the computer with FRITZ!VPN obtains its IP address from. If the computer does not obtain its IP settings via DHCP, change the IP settings on the computer itself.
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box uses the new IP network. Reconfigure the VPN connection in FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box so that the computer with FRITZ!VPN also obtains an IP address from the new IP network after establishing the VPN connection.
6 Deleting VPN connections and reconfiguring them
If the VPN connection cannot be established at all, then the VPN configuration in FRITZ!VPN or the FRITZ!Box is incorrect, for example due to a typing error, an incorrect MyFRITZ! or dynamic DNS domain name, or an error made when editing the CFG file). Therefore, reconfigure the VPN connection:
- Delete the VPN connection in the Configure FRITZ!Box VPN Connection software.
- Delete the VPN connection in the FRITZ!VPN software and in the FRITZ!Box.
- Reconfigure a VPN connection between FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box.