- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
FRITZ!VPN cannot establish a VPN connection to FRITZ!Box
You cannot establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box using the FRITZ!VPN software. One of the following error messages may be displayed in FRITZ!VPN's journal:
- "Timeout, could not contact the remote site."
- "Could not resolve the name of the remote site."
- "The VPN connection cannot be established because FRITZ!VPN could not find any active connection to the internet. Please connect to the internet first."
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Public IP address required for access
You can only establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box if the FRITZ!Box obtains a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider when it establishes an internet connection.
If the FRITZ!Box obtains a private IPv4 address, VPN connections cannot be established.
You can find out whether the FRITZ!Box obtained a public or private IPv4 address by following the steps in our guide Identifying the address range of the IPv4 address for the internet connection.
2 Checking the MyFRITZ! status of the FRITZ!Box
If the VPN connection occasionally cannot be established, there may be an issue with the MyFRITZ! service. Therefore, check whether the FRITZ!Box is successfully registered with MyFRITZ! when you try to establish the VPN connection:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Online Monitor" in the "Internet" menu.
- If MyFRITZ! is enabled, continue with the next section.
- If MyFRITZ! is not displayed as being enabled, wait until the technical issues have been resolved and try to establish the VPN connection at a later time. If there is a permanent error, reconfigure the MyFRITZ! account.
3 Adjusting the IP networks
For VPN communication to occur, the computer with FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box must use different IP networks. If the computer with FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box are in the same IP network, you must either adapt the IP settings of the computer with FRITZ!VPNor the IP network of the FRITZ!Box:
In the factory settings, all FRITZ!Box use the IP network 192.168.178.0 (IP address 192.168.178.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
If the computer with FRITZ!VPN has the IP address 192.168.20.13 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0), it is located in the IP network 192.168.20.0 and can establish a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box.
If the computer with FRITZ!VPN is connected to another FRITZ!Box and both use the IP network 192.168.178.0, VPN connections cannot be established.
Adjusting the IP settings of the computer with FRITZ!VPN
- Adjust the IP network of the router (for example FRITZ!Box) that the computer with FRITZ!VPN obtains its IP address from. If the computer does not obtain its IP settings via DHCP, change the IP settings on the computer itself.
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click "Additional Settings" in the section "Guest Access" to display all of the settings.
- Click the "IPv4 Configuration" button.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
Important:Do not enter an IP address from the network 192.168.100.x. In compliance with DOCSIS, this network is reserved for the cable provider and may not be used in the FRITZ!Box.
- Click "OK" to save the settings and on the FRITZ!Box, confirm that the procedure may be executed if asked to do so.
Now the FRITZ!Box uses the new IP network. Reconfigure the VPN connection in FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box so that the computer with FRITZ!VPN also obtains an IP address from the new IP network after establishing the VPN connection.
4 Configuring a firewall for FRITZ!VPN
If the computer with FRITZ!VPN is protected by a firewall on the computer or an upstream router, you may have to share the ports and IP protocols in the firewall that are required by FRITZ!VPN before you can establish a VPN connection:
- Configure the firewall for FRITZ!VPN.
5 Mobile Broadband Driver is not supported
The FRITZ!VPN software currently cannot be used with the Mobile Broadband Driver for Windows 8 / 7 or Huawei ("HUAWEI Mobile Connect"). If the internet connection is established by a mobile broadband modem or a mobile broadband dongle that complies with the LTE or UMTS mobile standard, and the modem or dongle uses this driver, you cannot establish a VPN connection with FRITZ!VPN.
You can use the FRITZ!VPN software if the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle can also be used without a Mobile Broadband Driver:
- Configure the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle so that it uses a driver other than the Mobile Broadband Driver from Windows 8 / 7 or from Huawei, for example a "WAN-Miniport(IP)" driver.
Note:Information on using the mobile broadband modem or mobile broadband dongle with other drivers can be obtained from the manufacturer, for example refer to the manual.
6 Deleting VPN connections and reconfiguring them
If the VPN connection cannot be established at all, then the VPN configuration in FRITZ!VPN or the FRITZ!Box is incorrect, for example due to a typing error, an incorrect MyFRITZ! domain name, or an error made when editing the CFG file. Therefore, reconfigure the VPN connection:
- Delete the VPN connection in the Configure FRITZ!Box VPN Connection software.
- Delete the VPN connection in the FRITZ!VPN software and in the FRITZ!Box.
- Reconfigure a VPN connection between FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box.
AVM Section Navigation