Setting up the FRITZ!Box for internet access via USB tethering
Not only can the FRITZ!Box establish its own internet connections over a mobile broadband dongle, it can also use the existing internet connection of a mobile broadband dongle (USB tethering). This way all of the network devices in your home network can use the internet connection of the mobile broadband dongle, although the FRITZ!Box does not establish the internet connection.
Note:If the FRITZ!Box displays internet access via USB tethering, the FRITZ!Box can only control the mobile broadband dongle via USB tethering.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Depending on the mobile network operator, internet telephony and all other functions for which a public IP address is required (for example incoming VPN connections) are either not available or only available to a limited extent.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click Mobile Network (or "Mobile Communications") in the "Internet" menu.
- If the mobile network should always be used for the internet connection, enable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile broadband dongle by USB tethering enabled".
- If the mobile network should only be used for the internet connection when the cable connection is interrupted, enable the option "Automatically enable the mobile connection when the cable internet connection is disrupted".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the mobile broadband dongle
- Use the mobile broadband dongle's IP address, for example 192.168.10.20, to open its user interface. The mobile broadband dongle's IP address is displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Internet > Mobile Network" (or "Internet > Mobile Communications").
- Enter the PIN of the SIM card in the mobile broadband dongle and enable internet access. You can find information on configuring the mobile broadband dongle in its manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.
- If you received account information for internet access from your mobile network operator, enter the account information in the mobile broadband dongle.
The FRITZ!Box now establishes all internet connections using the mobile broadband dongle connected to it.
Note:If you no longer want the FRITZ!Box to use the mobile broadband dongle's internet connection, disable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile broadband dongle by USB tethering" in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Internet > Mobile Network" (or "Internet > Mobile Communications").
AVM Section Navigation