- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Configuring FRITZ!Box for internet access via an Android smartphone (USB tethering)
Not only can the FRITZ!Box establish internet connections using a mobile broadband dongle, it can also use the existing mobile internet connection of an Android smartphone (USB tethering).
This way all devices in the FRITZ!Box home network can use the Android smartphone's internet connection to access the internet should your conventional internet connection ever be down and you do not have a mobile broadband dongle.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Android 4.1 or later is installed on the smartphone.
- The Android smartphone must support the USB tethering function.
- Depending on the mobile network operator, internet telephony and all other functions for which a public IP address is required (for example incoming VPN connections) are either not available or only available to a limited extent.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting a smartphone with the FRITZ!Box
- Use a USB cable to connect the Android smartphone to the USB port on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring the smartphone
- Tap the "Settings" symbol on the home screen of the Android smartphone.
- Tap "Network & Internet" and then "Hotspot & tethering".
- Enable the option "USB tethering".
The Android smartphone will now share the internet connection with the device you connected using the USB cable.
Note:USB tethering ends when you remove the USB cable or disable the option "USB tethering".
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click Mobile Network (or "Mobile Communications") in the "Internet" menu.
- If the mobile network should always be used for the internet connection, enable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile broadband dongle by USB tethering enabled".
- If the mobile network should only be used for the internet connection when the cable connection is interrupted, enable the option "Automatically enable the mobile connection when the cable internet connection is disrupted".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
The FRITZ!Box will now establish all internet connections using the Android smartphone you connected to it.
Note:If you no longer want the FRITZ!Box to use the smartphone's internet connection, disable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile broadband dongle by USB tethering" in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Internet > Mobile Network" (or "Internet > Mobile Communications").
AVM Section Navigation