FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
Unable to access the internet over a VPN connection
You cannot access the internet over a VPN connection from a smartphone or computer with the FRITZ!VPN software. However, you may still be able to access the FRITZ!Box user interface or devices in the home network.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Configuring parental controls to allow internet access
The device's internet access may not be blocked by the FRITZ!Box parental controls. Therefore, make sure that the device has unrestricted internet access:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Parental Controls" tab.
- If internet access has been restricted or blocked for the device you want to access over VPN, configure the parental controls so that the device has unrestricted internet use.
2 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
You may be temporarily unable to correctly establish the VPN connection due to an error with the FRITZ!Box or your internet connection. Therefore, restart the FRITZ!Box so that it reinitializes the firewall and re-establishes the internet connection:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
3 Deleting VPN connections and reconfiguring them
If you use the FRITZ!VPN software, you must enable the option "Send all data over the VPN tunnel" when you create the VPN configuration so that all internet queries are forwarded via the remote FRITZ!Box whenever a VPN connection is active. Therefore, reconfigure the VPN connection and make sure to enable this option:
- Delete the VPN connection in the Configure FRITZ!Box VPN Connection software.
- Delete the VPN connection in the FRITZ!VPN software and in the FRITZ!Box.
- Reconfigure a VPN connection between FRITZ!VPN and the FRITZ!Box.