FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
Telephone does not ring when configuring it in user interface
When you configure a telephone under "Telephony > Telephony Devices > Configure New Device" in the user interface, during the procedure the FRITZ!Box checks whether the telephone is correctly connected. After you select the port the telephone is connected to, the question "Is the telephone ringing?" appears. However, the telephone does not ring and you cannot continue with the configuration.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Connecting the telephone directly to the FRITZ!Box
The following steps are only necessary if the telephone is connected to a PBX that is connected to the FRITZ!Box:
- Disconnect the telephone from the PBX and connect it directly to the FRITZ!Box.
- If the telephone now rings, then the PBX is incorrectly configured. The manufacturer can provide you with instructions on configuring the PBX.
2 Connecting and configuring an ISDN telephone
Entering your telephone numbers in the ISDN telephone
- Delete all of the numbers configured in the telephone.
- Re-enter the desired numbers in the telephone exactly the way they are displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface in the settings for the telephone on the "FON S0" tab.
Note:You can find information on configuring the telephone numbers (MSNs) in the telephone's manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.
Connecting only an ISDN telephone
- Disconnect all devices (such as telephones, PBXs, faxes) and cables from the "FON S0" port.
- Connect a telephone to the "FON S0" port. Do not use a PBX or an ISDN hub to connect the telephone to the FRITZ!Box.
- If you cannot make calls, proceed with the following section. Do not connect any further ISDN devices yet.
- If you can make calls, then another device or its cable is defective, or a device is incorrectly configured, for example incorrect telephone numbers, dialing rules.
- Reconnect the other ISDN devices to find out which device causes the problem. Do not connect more than one ISDN device without its own power supply.
- If the error occurs again after you connect a particular ISDN telephone, then that telephone or its cable is defective.
- If the error occurs again after you connect a PBX, then the PBX is either defective or incorrectly configured, for example incorrect telephone numbers, incorrect dialing rules, or call-by-call prefixes.
3 Testing a different telephone
- Disconnect the telephone from the FRITZ!Box and connect a different telephone to the same port.
Important:The ISDN telephones you connect to the FRITZ!Box must be suitable for use with ISDN point-to-point connections. Furthermore, the cables of ISDN telephones may not exceed 10 m. ISDN point-to-multipoint lines are common in the private sector and in small offices, whereas ISDN point-to-point connections tend to be used in professional environments.
- If the second telephone rings, then the first telephone or its cable is defective.