FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
- FRITZ!Box 5490
Using another FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
You want to set up the FRITZ!Box as a repeater and connect it to a second FRITZ!Box? ✔ Find out how to do that here.
You can connect an additional FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater to your FRITZ!Box connected to the cable line to easily and efficiently increase the wireless range of your home network.
Internet and telephony services configured in the FRITZ!Box Cable are then available to the FRITZ!Box configured as the wireless repeater and the devices connected to it, such as computers and telephones.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The additional FRITZ!Box must support the method for increasing wireless range as a repeater.
- The wireless network name (SSID) of the FRITZ!Box with internet access must be visible.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
Connecting the computer with the wireless repeater
- Either use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box you want to use as a wireless repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection, clear that connection.
Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu. If the menu is not displayed, enable the Advanced View.
- Enable the option "Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater".
- Under "Select wireless radio network" or "Access Point Selection", select the wireless network of your FRITZ!Box with internet access. If the FRITZ!Box is not displayed:
- Reduce the distance between the two devices.
- Click the "Refresh List" button and then select the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
- Enter the network key of the FRITZ!Box with internet access in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box is configured as a wireless repeater.
Important:When configured as a wireless repeater, the FRITZ!Box can no longer be reached at http://fritz.box; instead, to you must use the Mesh or home network overview of the FRITZ!Box with internet access or the IP address assigned to it by the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
2 Setting up Mesh
If FRITZ!OS 7 or later is already installed on the wireless repeater, you can connect the wireless repeater and the FRITZ!Box with internet access to form a Mesh. The wireless repeater adopts all of the wireless settings from the Mesh Master (FRITZ!Box with internet access) and both wireless networks are centrally controlled and optimized by the Mesh Master:
- Briefly push the "Connect/WPS" button on the FRITZ!Box with internet access (for about 1 second). The "WLAN" LED starts to flash after you release the button. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the wireless repeater until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 7560 WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the FRITZ!Box with internet access marks the wireless repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- Select a location for the FRITZ!Box being used as the wireless repeater where the quality of the wireless signal of the FRITZ!Box with internet access is good.
Note:You can use FRITZ!App WLAN to find the ideal place for the repeater.
4 Setting up telephony
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the FRITZ!Box with internet access with telephones connected to the wireless repeater: