FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box does not detect a mobile broadband dongle
The FRITZ!Box does not detect a mobile broadband dongle. The dongle is not displayed in the user interface under "Home Network > USB Devices > Overview of Devices" when you connect it to the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Removing and reconnecting the mobile communications dongle
- Remove the mobile communications dongle from the FRITZ!Box.
- After a couple of seconds, reconnect the mobile communications dongle to the FRITZ!Box.
- Check whether the problem still occurs.
- If the problem no longer exists, then it was caused by an error we are currently examining. We will correct it as soon as possible in a FRITZ!OS update for the FRITZ!Box. We cannot give you a release date for the update yet.
Note:If you are leasing your FRITZ!Box from your cable provider, then your cable provider will make the FRITZ!OS update available, and not AVM. It will be installed automatically.
3 Samsung GT-B3740 is not supported
Samsung's mobile broadband dongle GT-B3740 cannot be used with the FRITZ!Box's USB port because Samsung designed this LTE dongle for use with manufacturer-specific interfaces. This is not an error on the part of the FRITZ!Box, this is due to technical reasons on the part of the Samsung dongle.
Note:Some mobile network operators offer the LTE dongle GT-B3740 under their own name. The FRITZ!Box detects the LTE dongle GT-B3740 as a USB storage device.
4 Checking whether the mobile broadband dongle is working properly
- For testing purposes, connect the mobile broadband dongle directly to a USB port on your computer.
- If the computer does not detect the mobile broadband dongle, then the mobile broadband dongle is defective. In this case, contact the manufacturer.
5 Connecting a mobile broadband dongle directly to the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if the mobile broadband dongle is connected to the FRITZ!Box via a USB hub:
- For testing purposes, connect the mobile broadband dongle directly to the FRITZ!Box (i.e. without a USB hub).
- If the mobile broadband dongle is now detected, then the USB hub is either defective or it does not support the mobile broadband dongle you connected.