FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater DVB-C
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 450E
Changing the name of the wireless network (SSID) of the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box has a pre-configured wireless network name (SSID) in the factory settings. You can easily change this wireless network name.
Important:Some of the settings described here are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled in the user interface. The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to FRITZ!OS 6.83; they may differ or not be available with older FRITZ!OS versions. You can find the version of FRITZ!OS on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
1 Changing the name of the wireless network (SSID)
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Radio Network" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- In the fields "Name of the wireless radio network (SSID)", enter a unique name for the 2.4 GHz and the 5 GHz frequency band that does not contain special characters. Since not all wireless devices support all special characters, we recommend using only standard Latin letters (not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, á, é, í) and numbers.
Note:We suggest using identical wireless network names for both frequency bands so that the FRITZ!Box can automatically steer individual wireless devices to the most suitable frequency band (band steering).
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the wireless network name of the FRITZ!Box is changed. All of the wireless connections to the FRITZ!Box must be reconfigured.
If you are using wireless repeaters or powerline adapters with wireless capabilities in your home network, they should use the same wireless network name as the FRITZ!Box. This makes it easier for wireless devices to switch between wireless networks (wireless roaming).