FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 5490
- FRITZ!Box 4040
- FRITZ!Box 4020
- FRITZ!Box 3390
- FRITZ!Box 3370
- FRITZ!Box 3272
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater DVB-C
- FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 450E
Forgot password for accessing user interface
The FRITZ!Box password offers you protection from unauthorized access to your FRITZ!Box. If you forget this password, you can no longer access the FRITZ!Box's settings or functions, and you cannot login to it.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to FRITZ!OS 6.83; they may differ or not be available with older FRITZ!OS versions. You can find the version of FRITZ!OS on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Entering the FRITZ!Box password on the underside of the device
If you did not receive the FRITZ!Box from your cable provider but purchased it from a specialized dealer instead, then it is already protected by a password in the factory settings. This password is printed on the sticker on the underside of your FRITZ!Box. If you did not change the password, you can use it to access the FRITZ!Box user interface:
- Enter the password printed on the sticker on the underside of your FRITZ!Box.
2 Sending an access link with push service mail
If you entered an e-mail address for the "forgot password" push service under "Push Service" in the "System" menu of the FRITZ!Box, you can have the FRITZ!Box send you an access link that you can then use to log into the FRITZ!Box user interface again:
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Forgot your password?" under the password request.
Note:If the button "Send Push Service mail" is not visible, then this push service is not enabled.
- Click "Send Push Service Mail".
- Now an e-mail containing a link for setting a new password is sent to the e-mail address you entered for the "forgot password" push service.
- Call up your e-mail with the same device you used to request the access link and follow the instructions in the e-mail.
3 Using MyFRITZ! to access the FRITZ!Box
If you set up a MyFRITZ! account for a user with the right to view and edit all FRITZ!Box settings from the Internet, you can log in with this user. Once you have successfully logged in, you can change the password required to access the home network:
- Call up myfritz.net in a web browser.
- Enter the e-mail address you used to register with MyFRITZ! in the field.
- Solve the CAPTCHA.
- Enter your MyFRITZ! password and click "To Your FRITZ!Box" (see fig.).
Fig.: Logging into myfritz.net
- You will now be redirected to the MyFRITZ! home page of your FRITZ!Box.
- If the web browser says that the connection is not trusted or not safe, confirm the security warning as follows:
Note:The connection to the FRITZ!Box does not pose a security risk. The web browser only displays this warning because the FRITZ!Box's individual security certificate is unknown to third party organizations that validate certificates.
- Google Chrome: "Advanced > Proceed to [...].myfritz.net (unsafe)".
- Mozilla Firefox: "Advanced > Add Exception... > Confirm Security Exception".
- Microsoft Edge: "Continue to this webpage (not recommended)".
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: "Continue to this website (not recommended)."
- Apple Safari: "Continue".
- Enter the password that you entered when setting up your MyFRITZ! account for the FRITZ!Box user and click "Log In".
Now the MyFRITZ! home page for your FRITZ!Box is called up and you can access the FRITZ!Box user interface. You can change the password for accessing the home network in the "System" menu under "FRITZ!Box Users" on the "Login to the Home Network" tab.
4 Loading the FRITZ!Box factory settings
If you did not enable the "push service" in your FRITZ!Box or you cannot access the e-mail address you entered, you must load the FRITZ!Box's factory settings.
Important:When you load the factory settings, all of the settings you made in the FRITZ!Box are deleted.
However, if you previously saved your settings to a backup file, you can restore your settings after you have loaded the factory settings.
Loading the factory settings
- Briefly unplug the FRITZ!Box.
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface within the next 10 minutes.
- Click "Forgot your password?" under the password request.
- Click the "Restore Factory Settings" button.
- The factory settings are loaded and the FRITZ!Box is restarted. When you load the factory settings, the password required to access the FRITZ!Box user interface is also reset to the original password it had upon delivery.
- If there is a FRITZ!Box password printed on the sticker on the underside of your device, enter it and click "OK".
- Once you have successfully logged in, you can assign your own password again under "System > FRITZ!Box Users" on the tab "Login to the Home Network".
If you saved the settings of your FRITZ!Box, then you can restore them after you have loaded the factory settings. However, do not restore FRITZ!Box users and their passwords from the backup file as otherwise you will reimport the unknown password for the user interface. Therefore, only restore selected settings:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restore" tab.
- Enter the password you entered when saving the file.
- Click "Browse" and select the file "FRITZ.Box[...].export" with the settings you would like to restore.
- Enable the option "Select manually the settings to be restored".
- Click the "Restore" button.
- Enable the settings you would like to restore except for the option "FRITZ!Box user" and click "Apply".
The settings are now restored. Afterwards, you may then have to re-register all cordless telephones, DECT repeaters, and smart home devices, for example FRITZ!DECT 200 or radiator controls, with the FRITZ!Box.
Note:All of the settings for your cordless telephones remain intact if you use their menus to register them and not the "Manage Telephony Devices" Wizard in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:Configure the "push service" so you will be able to recover your password, should you forget it again.