FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
Transferring settings from one FRITZ!Box to another
If you switch to a different FRITZ!Box, you do not have to configure all of your settings again; instead, you can quickly and easily transfer the settings saved with your old FRITZ!Box to the new FRITZ!Box. To import the settings, you simply use the restore functions in the FRITZ!Box user interface. You can choose to either import all or only certain settings into your new FRITZ!Box, for example the wireless settings and telephone books.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Only the FRITZ!Box 6490 with article number 20002778 can be used with any cable connection. FRITZ!Box 6490 with different article numbers are usually the property of the original cable provider and are configured for use with a specific cable connection. We therefore cannot guarantee that they can be used with a different connection.
- The FRITZ!OS version of the new FRITZ!Box must be the same or later than the FRITZ!OS version of the old FRITZ!Box.
1 Transferring settings
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restore" tab.
- Click "Browse" and select the file "FRITZ.Box[...].export" that contains the FRITZ!Box settings.
- Enter the password you entered when saving the file.
- Enable the option "Manually select the settings to be restored".
ATTENTION!You cannot apply the Internet account information and account information for telephony to a different FRITZ!Box.
- Click the "Restore" button and confirm that the procedure may be executed on the FRITZ!Box, if you are asked to do so.
- Enable the settings you would like to restore.
- Click "Apply".
Now the settings are applied and the FRITZ!Box restarts. Afterwards, you will have to re-register all cordless telephones, DECT repeaters, and smart home devices, for example FRITZ!DECT 200 or radiator controls, with the FRITZ!Box.
Note:All of the settings for your cordless telephones remain intact if you use their menus to register them and not the "Manage Telephony Devices" wizard in the FRITZ!Box user interface.