FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
Configuring the FRITZ!Box for television reception
The FRITZ!Box has a dual tuner for cable TV (DVB-C) that can transmit ("stream") two TV programs to network devices in the home network at the same time. Any tablet, smartphone or computer with a compatible media player (for example FRITZ!App TV, VLC media player) installed on it can be used to select and play programs. If the media player supports it, an electronic program guide, teletext, and the option to select subtitles and sound tracks are available in addition to playing the program.
Important:Some cable providers do not support this function. In this case, the menu item "DVB-C" is not available in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Requirements / Restrictions
- A maximum of six network devices can play the TV program or programs at the same time.
- A maximum of four different TV programs can be played on different network devices at the same time.
- Encoded TV programs (for example private HD programs, pay TV) are not transmitted.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
Start the channel search to configure the stations or add new stations:
- Click "DVB-C" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Channel Search" in the "DVB-C" menu.
- Click "Start Channel Search".
2 Configuring a network device
- Install an app or software on the desired network devices that can play the IP streams of the FRITZ!Box:
- With Android and iOS devices you can use FRITZ!App TV, for example.
- You can use the VLC media player on computers with Windows or OS X.
Important:The app or software must be able to receive RTP streams (Real-time Transport Protocol).