- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583 VDSL
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Using another FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
You can connect an additional FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater to your FRITZ!Box connected to the fiber optic connection to increase the Wi-Fi range of your home network easily and efficiently.
Internet and telephony services configured in the FRITZ!Box connected to the fiber optic connection are then available to the FRITZ!Box configured as the wireless repeater and the devices connected to it, such as computers and telephones.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The additional FRITZ!Box must support the method for increasing Wi-Fi range as a repeater.
- The Wi-Fi network name (SSID) of the FRITZ!Box with internet access must be visible.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
Connecting the computer with the wireless repeater
- Use Wi-Fi or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box you want to use as a wireless repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection, clear that connection.
Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater" in the "Wi-Fi" menu. If the menu is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the option "FRITZ!Box as a Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater".
- Under "Selecting the Wi-Fi Network" or "Access Point Selection", select the Wi-Fi network of your FRITZ!Box with internet access. If several entries are displayed for the Wi-Fi network, use the MAC address to select the appropriate entry. If the FRITZ!Box is not displayed:
- Reduce the distance between the two devices.
- Click the "Refresh List" button and then select the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
- Enter the network key of the FRITZ!Box with internet access in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box is configured as a wireless repeater.
Important:When configured as a wireless repeater, the FRITZ!Box can no longer be reached at http://fritz.box; it can only be accessed via the Mesh or home network overview of the FRITZ!Box with internet access and the IP address assigned to it by the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
2 Setting up Mesh
If FRITZ!OS 7 or later is already installed on the wireless repeater, you can connect the wireless repeater and the FRITZ!Box with internet access to form a Mesh. The wireless repeater adopts all of the Wi-Fi settings from the Mesh Master (FRITZ!Box with internet access) and both Wi-Fi networks are centrally controlled and optimized by the Mesh Master:
- Push and hold down the "Connect/WPS" button on the FRITZ!Box with internet access for about 1 second until the "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the wireless repeater until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the FRITZ!Box with internet access marks the wireless repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- Select a location for the FRITZ!Box being used as the wireless repeater where the quality of the Wi-Fi signal of the FRITZ!Box with internet access is good. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for the Mesh Repeater.
4 Setting up telephony
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the FRITZ!Box with internet access with telephones connected to the wireless repeater:
AVM Section Navigation