FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up music on hold / announcement in the FRITZ!Box
When you put a call on hold, for example when alternating between calls, the party on hold will hear music or an announcement played by your telephone provider. If your provider allows it, you can replace this music on hold or announcement with an announcement from the FRITZ!Box. Instead of using the FRITZ!Box's announcement, you can either select preconfigured music on hold or set up your own music on hold or announcement in the FRITZ!Box.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The audio file used for your own music on hold / announcement may be no longer than 8 seconds. If the audio file is longer, only the first 8 seconds will be used.
- The audio file must be in one of the following file formats:
- MP3 format: Sustained data rate, 128 kbit/s, 44.1 kHz, stereo
- WAV format: 8000 Hz, 16-bit, mono
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Setting up your own music on hold / announcement
- Click "Telephony" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Telephone Numbers" in the "Telephony" menu.
- Click on the "Line Settings" tab.
- Click on "Change" in the "Music on Hold" section. If the section is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- If you want to use your own music on hold or announcement, enable the option "Own music" and select the desired audio file.
- If you want to use music on hold in the FRITZ!Box, enable the option "Music".
- If you want to use the FRITZ!Box's announcement, enable the option "Announcement".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Disabling the external hold function
If the caller does not hear the FRITZ!Box's music on hold, then your telephony provider makes its own music on hold available. You can force the FRITZ!Box to play your music on hold if you configure the FRITZ!Box so that calls are always held in the FRITZ!Box:
- Enter #960*8* on your telephone and press the call key (lift the receiver).
Note:You can enter #960*9* to re-enable the standard setting for the FRITZ!Box.
- Hang up again after about 3 seconds.
There are disadvantages to holding calls in the FRITZ!Box; for example, you also hear the music on hold when calls are held, and in some cases call waiting will not work. If this bothers you, then only the telephony provider can offer a solution. The provider would have to configure your connection so that music on hold is not played automatically.