FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
USB storage device is not detected by FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box does not detect a USB storage device. After connecting it to the FRITZ!Box, the USB storage device is either not displayed at all under "Home network > USB Devices > Overview of Devices" in the user interface, or it is displayed as an "unknown" device.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem is solved.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
Restart the FRITZ!Box while the USB storage device is connected to it:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Backup" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Restart" tab.
- Click the "Restart" button.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
3 Configuring USB 2.0 mode
The following step is only necessary if you are using a USB 3.0 device:
Note:Some USB 3.0 devices (for example My Passport hard drives from Western Digital) do not correctly identify themselves as USB 3.0 devices. Therefore, the FRITZ!Box cannot correctly integrate these devices.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "USB Devices" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "USB Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Green Mode USB 2.0" for the USB port you are using.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
4 Checking whether the USB storage device is working properly
- For testing purposes, connect the USB storage device to a USB port on your computer.
- If the computer also does not recognize the USB storage device, then either the USB storage device or the USB cable is defective. In this case, contact the manufacturer.
5 Connecting the USB storage device directly to the FRITZ!Box
The following step is only necessary if the USB storage device is connected to the FRITZ!Box via a USB hub:
- For testing purposes, connect the USB storage device directly to the FRITZ!Box (i.e. without a USB hub).
- If the USB storage device is now detected, then the USB hub is defective or it does not support the USB storage device you connected.
Note:The FRITZ!Box supplies USB devices with a total of up to 900 mA in accordance with the USB 3.0 specification. Use a USB hub with its own power supply (active USB hub) to connect devices that require more power to the FRITZ!Box.