FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
Callers hear a fax tone
Callers hear a fax tone when they call you. The telephones connected to the FRITZ!Box do not ring or only ring several times and you cannot answer the call.
- A fax (external fax machine, integrated fax function of the FRITZ!Box, or fax software) answers the call immediately, so you cannot accept the call with a telephone.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Disabling the number for the fax function
- Click "Telephony" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Telephony Devices" in the "Telephony" menu.
- Click the button (Edit) for the fax.
- Disable the telephone number(s) you would like to receive calls to.
Important:You must select at least one number for sending faxes. The number you select can no longer be used to receive telephone calls because the internal fax answers all calls to this number - even telephone calls. You cannot use a number to only send faxes with.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
If callers still hear a fax tone, then another device is answering the call. In such cases, the problem lies with the other device.
Note:Most fax devices allow you to configure a ring delay. You can find information on configuring the device in its manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.