FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Using another FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
You can connect an additional FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater to your FRITZ!Box connected to the fiber optic connection to easily and efficiently increase the wireless range of your home network.
Internet and telephony services configured in the FRITZ!Box connected to the fiber optic connection are then available to the FRITZ!Box configured as the wireless repeater and the devices connected to it, such as computers and telephones.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Each FRITZ!Box must support the method for increasing wireless range.
- The wireless network name (SSID) of the FRITZ!Box with internet access must be visible.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box as a wireless repeater
Connecting the computer with the wireless repeater
- Either use wireless LAN or a network cable to connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box you want to use as a wireless repeater.
- If the computer is already connected to the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection, clear this connection.
Configuring the operating mode
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu. If the menu is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the option "Mesh Repeater" or "Repeater".
- Under "Select wireless radio network" or "Access Point Selection", select the wireless network of your FRITZ!Box with internet access. If the FRITZ!Box is not displayed:
- Reduce the distance between the two devices.
- Click the "Refresh List" button and then select the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
- Enter the network key of the FRITZ!Box with internet access in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box is configured as a wireless repeater.
Important:When configured as a wireless repeater, the FRITZ!Box can no longer be reached at http://fritz.box; instead, to you must use the Mesh or home network overview of the FRITZ!Box with internet access or the IP address assigned to it by the FRITZ!Box with internet access.
2 Setting up Mesh
If FRITZ!OS 7 or later is already installed on the wireless repeater, you can connect the wireless repeater and the FRITZ!Box with internet access to form a Mesh. The wireless repeater adopts all of the wireless settings from the Mesh Master (FRITZ!Box with internet access) and both wireless networks are centrally controlled and optimized by the Mesh Master:
- Push and hold the connect button on the FRITZ!Box with internet access until its "WLAN" LED flashes. Other LEDs may also flash.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold the connect button on the wireless repeater until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS Info FRITZ!Box 7582, 7580, 3490 WPS Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020 WPS WLAN FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN Info FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 6490, 6430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS Info
- The process is complete as soon as the FRITZ!Box with internet access marks the wireless repeater with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
3 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Box
- Select a location for the FRITZ!Box being used as the wireless repeater where the quality of the wireless signal of the FRITZ!Box with internet access is good.
Note:You can use FRITZ!App WLAN to find the ideal position for the repeater.
4 Setting up telephony
If you also want to use the telephone numbers configured in the FRITZ!Box with internet access with telephones connected to the wireless repeater: