FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up the FRITZ!Box for use with a fiber optic connection
The FRITZ!Box automatically connects to the internet when you connect it to a fiber optic connection (Fiber to the Home, FTTH) according to the AON standard and enter your personal account information in the FRITZ!Box user interface. All of the computers, smartphones, and other devices connected to the FRITZ!Box can then use the internet connection at the same time and have equal status.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting the FRITZ!Box to your fiber optic connection
- Connect the fiber optic cable to the "Fiber" port on the FRITZ!Box and the fiber optic socket (Fiber Termination Unit). Do not bend the fiber optic cable and do not hold the end of the cable in front of your eyes.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has a SC/PC connector (wide connector, flat endface). Depending on the fiber optic socket, you may need to use a fiber optic cable with an adapter. The fiber optic cable is not included with your FRITZ!Box, it is supplied by your internet service provider.
2 Configuring internet access
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Enter the FRITZ!Box password on the bottom of the device and click "Log In".
- If the menu "Account Information" is not displayed automatically, click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Select your internet service provider from the drop-down list. If your internet service provider is not displayed, select "Other internet service provider" from the drop-down list.
- If account information is required, enter the account information you received from your internet service provider in the corresponding fields.
- If account information is not required, enable the option "No" in the "Account Information" section.
- Click "Change connection settings".
- Enter the speeds of your internet connection in the "Downstream" and "Upstream" fields.
Enter 200000 for a downstream of 200 Mbit/s; enter 50000 for an upstream of 50 Mbit/s.
- If you selected "Other internet service provider" and your internet service provider requires you to use a particular VLAN ID, enable the option "Use VLAN for internet access" and enter the VLAN ID and PBit in the corresponding fields.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box uses the account information you entered to establish the internet connection. Configuration is completed when the message "The internet connection check was successful" is displayed.
3 Setting up telephony
If you received login data for internet telephony from a provider and want to use telephones with the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the internet telephone numbers in the FRITZ!Box.