- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583 VDSL
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Setting up Wi-Fi guest access in the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box's Wi-Fi guest access offers your guests separate internet access. Devices in the guest network are denied access to devices in the home network. For this purpose, the FRITZ!Box provides an additional Wi-Fi network with its own security settings and a captive portal, if needed.
You can either offer encrypted or unencrypted guest access:
- A password is required to use private Wi-Fi guest access. Data transmitted via the guest access is secured using the current encryption method WPA2. The private Wi-Fi guest access is suitable for friends and acquaintances who want secure access to the internet when visiting you at home.
- The public Wi-Fi hotspot can be used without entering a password. As in any public hotspot, data is transmitted without encryption. Public Wi-Fi hotspots are suitable for use in cafés or doctors' offices, for example.
In the FRITZ! Mesh, guest access can also be used on all Mesh Repeaters (for example FRITZ!Repeater). The FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master) automatically transmits all of the settings for the guest access to the Mesh Repeaters.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Box's Wi-Fi network must be enabled.
- Devices in the guest network are configured to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
- Guest access is not available if the FRITZ!Box uses the existing internet connection of another router (IP client mode) or is configured for "existing connection over Wi-Fi".
- IPTV playback and other FRITZ!Box functions (such as the MAC address filter, port sharing, telephony) are not available when using guest access.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring guest access
- Click "Wi-Fi" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Guest Access" in the "Wi-Fi" menu.
- Enable the guest access.
- If you want offer your friends and acquaintances password-protected internet access:
- Enable the option "Private Wi-Fi guest access".
- For the "Name of the Wi-Fi guest access (SSID)", enter the name that your guests should see when they search for Wi-Fi networks.
- Enter a password that is between 8 and 63 characters long in the "Network key" field. Use numerals, letters, and other characters, and mix upper and lower case letters.
- If you want to offer your guests internet access that is not password-protected:
- Enable the option "Public Wi-Fi hotspot".
- For the "Name of the Wi-Fi hotspot (SSID)", enter the name that your guests should see when they search for Wi-Fi networks.
- Click "Additional Settings" further below.
- If you want to receive a log of the devices' logging in and off of your guest access, enable the "Enable Push Service" option.
- If you want guests to see a captive portal, enable the option "Display Captive Portal" and customize it.
- If you do not want the guest access to be permanently enabled, select when the guest access should be disabled automatically.
- If the wireless devices should be allowed to exchange data with each other, enable the option "Wireless devices may communicate with each other".
- If you also want to allow other types of internet access, disable the option "Restrict internet applications".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Regulating internet use for the guest access
All devices in the guest network are assigned the "Guest" access profile in the FRITZ!Box parental controls. This way, in Germany all websites the German Federal Department for Media Harmful to Young Persons (BPjM) has deemed offensive or harmful to minors are blocked by default.
You can manually adjust the "Guest" access profile if necessary, for example if you want to limit internet use in the guest network to certain times or block access to certain websites:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (Edit) button for the "Guest" profile.
- Select the option "restricted" for the "Period".
- Click the "Internet use blocked" button and then hold down the left mouse button while you drag the mouse across the areas of the timetable when internet use should be blocked.
Fig.: Internet access allowed at night and blocked in the morning
- If you want to block certain websites, enable the options "Filter websites" and "Block websites". You can create your own list with blocked websites or only block websites that are indexed by the German Federal Review Board for Media Harmful to Minors (BPjM).
Note:The BPjM module is only available if you select Germany as the country of use under "System > Region and Language".
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.
AVM Section Navigation