FRITZ!Box 4040 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up the FRITZ!Box for internet access via USB tethering
Not only can the FRITZ!Box establish its own internet connections over a mobile broadband dongle, it can also use the existing internet connection of a mobile broadband dongle (USB tethering). This way all of the network devices in your home network can use the internet connection of the mobile broadband dongle, although the FRITZ!Box does not establish the internet connection.
Note:If the FRITZ!Box displays internet access via USB tethering, the FRITZ!Box can only control the mobile broadband dongle via USB tethering.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Depending on the mobile network operator, internet telephony and all other functions for which a public IP address is required (for example incoming VPN connections) are either not available or only available to a limited extent.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mobile Communications" in the "Internet" menu.
- Enable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile communications dongle by USB tethering".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the mobile broadband dongle
- Open the user interface of the mobile broadband dongle.
Note:The FRITZ!Box shows under "Internet > Mobile Communications" which IP address you can use to open the user interface of the mobile broadband dongle.
- Enter the PIN of the SIM card in the mobile broadband dongle and enable internet access. You can find information on configuring the mobile broadband dongle in its manual, or consult its manufacturer directly.
- If you received account information for internet access from your mobile network operator, enter the account information in the mobile broadband dongle.
The FRITZ!Box now establishes all internet connections using the mobile broadband dongle connected to it.
Note:If you no longer want the FRITZ!Box to use the mobile broadband dongle's internet connection, disable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile communications dongle by USB tethering" in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Internet > Mobile Communications".