FRITZ!Box 4040 Service - Knowledge Base
Computer does not start automatically when accessed from the internet
Although the option "Start this computer automatically as soon as it is accessed from the internet" is enabled for your computer in the FRITZ!Box, it does not automatically start when it is accessed from the internet.
- The FRITZ!Box does not send the Magic Packet required to automatically start the computer ("Wake on LAN").
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the problem persists.
1 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Using the FRITZ!Box user interface to start the computer
The FRITZ!Box can only send the Magic Packet required to automatically start the computer if the computer was inactive for the last 15 minutes. If the computer was active within the last 15 minutes, use the FRITZ!Box user interface to start it manually:
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network" and then "Network" in the user interface.
- Click on the "Network Connections" tab.
- Click the (Edit) button for the computer you want to start.
- Click the "Start Computer" button.
Now the computer will be awoken from standby mode. You can access shared files and server services on the computer shortly afterwards, often after only a couple of seconds.