Integrating FRITZ!Repeater into the Mesh via LAN
Integrate your FRITZ!Repeater into the Mesh of your FRITZ!Box via LAN to increase the Wi-Fi range of your home network easily and efficiently. As a Mesh Repeater, the FRITZ!Repeater then automatically adopts all of the settings from the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), such as Wi-Fi access information and guest access. In the Mesh, your wireless devices automatically connect to the wireless access point with the best Wi-Fi reception.
From then on, you can simply make changes in the Mesh in the Mesh Master. The Mesh Master automatically transmits the new settings to all of the Mesh Repeaters. If you still want to access the user interface of the Mesh Repeater, use the password from the Mesh Masters to log into the Mesh Repeater.
As soon as the FRITZ!Repeater is integrated into the Mesh, it is marked in the user interface of the Mesh Master with the Mesh symbol :
Fig.: Mesh overview with FRITZ!Repeater in LAN bridge mode
Requirements / Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Repeater must have a LAN port.
- FRITZ!OS 7 or later is installed on the FRITZ!Repeater.
Important:You can find instructions on setting up older FRITZ!Repeater models that do not support Mesh at en.avm.de/service under "FRITZ!WLAN > More models > [FRITZ!Repeater model] > Knowledge Base" if you search for "connect repeater".
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Loading the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Repeater must be set to factory settings:
- Load the FRITZ!Repeater's factory settings.
2 Adding a FRITZ!Repeater to the Mesh at the touch of a button
To set up the FRITZ!Repeater as a LAN bridge, first connect it to the Mesh Master via Wi-Fi. This automatically integrates the FRITZ!Repeater into the Mesh:
- For setup, position the FRITZ!Repeater near the Mesh Master. If the FRITZ!Repeater is already connected to the home network over LAN, clear that connection.
- Wait about 1 minute until the "Power" LED and "WLAN" LED on the FRITZ!Repeater remain lit or the "Connect" LED on the FRITZ!Repeater flashes slower.
- Briefly push the "WPS" or "Connect" button on the FRITZ!Repeater (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. When you release the button, the "WLAN" LED starts to flash or the "Connect" LED starts to flash quickly.
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the "WPS" button on the Mesh Master for about 1 second until the "WLAN" LED flashes.
- The FRITZ!Repeater is fully integrated into the Mesh about 5 seconds after one or more signal strength LEDs on the FRITZ!Repeater remain lit or the LED for connection quality glows green.
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Repeater as a LAN bridge
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the user interface of the FRITZ!Repeater. If you are asked for a password, enter the password for the user interface of the Mesh Master.
- Click the "Change the Type of Connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "LAN bridge" and click "Next".
- Select which IP settings the FRITZ!Repeater should use and click "Next".
- Keep the Wi-Fi settings displayed for the FRITZ!Repeater and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
4 Connecting the FRITZ!Repeater with the home network
- Connect the FRITZ!Repeater to a LAN port in your home network (for example on a FRITZ!Box, FRITZ!Powerline adapter).
Now the FRITZ!Repeater is integrated into the Mesh as a LAN bridge and is available as an additional wireless access point. The signal strength LEDs or the LED for connection quality indicate the quality of the Wi-Fi connection of the first device to establish a connection to the FRITZ!Repeater's Wi-Fi network.
AVM Section Navigation