FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
Using a Blu-ray player in the FRITZ!Box home network
If your Blu-ray player has a network port or is equipped with wireless LAN (WiFi), you can simply connect it to a LAN port or the wireless network of your FRITZ!Box. The Blu-ray player can then access the Internet and be used as a playback device for multimedia contents such as photos, videos, or music.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
Important:If the FRITZ!Box uses the Internet connection of another router, then the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server is disabled. In this case, the upstream router must assign the necessary IP settings to the network devices.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the Blu-ray player
The Blu-ray player needs specific IP settings in order to communicate with the FRITZ!Box and other devices:
- Configure the Blu-ray player to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP client). Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
3 Connecting the Blu-ray player to the FRITZ!Box
- Use a network cable to connect the Blu-ray player to a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box,
- or, if the Blu-ray player is equipped with wireless LAN:
- Connect the Blu-ray player to the FRITZ!Box's wireless network.
Now the Blu-ray player is connected to the Internet via the FRITZ!Box. It can play multimedia contents from the FRITZ!Box media server and other media servers in the home network (for example computers with the Windows Media Player).
Note:Refer to the manufacturer for further information on how to set up the Blue-ray player.