- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Setting up wireless guest access in the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box's wireless guest access offers your guests separate internet access. Devices in the guest network are denied access to devices in the home network. For this purpose, the FRITZ!Box provides an additional wireless network (WiFi) with its own security settings and a captive portal, if needed.
You can either offer encrypted or unencrypted guest access:
- A password is required to use private wireless guest access. Data transmitted via the guest access is secured using the current encryption method WPA2. It is suitable for friends and acquaintances who want secure access to the internet when visiting you at home.
- A password is not required to use the public wireless hotspot. As in any public hotspot, data is transmitted without encryption. This type of guest access is suitable for use in cafés or doctors' offices, for example.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Box's wireless network must be enabled.
- Devices in the guest network are configured to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP.
- It is not possible to set up guest access in the operating mode "Existing connection over wireless LAN".
- If the FRITZ!Box uses the existing internet connection of another router (operation as an IP client), guest access is not available.
- In Mesh Repeater mode, various settings (for example captive portal) are not available. These settings are adopted from the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection.
- IPTV playback and other FRITZ!Box functions (such as the MAC address filter, port sharing, telephony) are not available when using guest access.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring guest access
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Guest Access" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the guest access.
- If you want offer your friends and acquaintances password-protected internet access:
- Enable the option "Private wireless LAN guest access".
- For the "Name of the wireless guest access (SSID)", enter the name that guests should see when they search for wireless networks.
- Enter a password that is between 8 and 63 characters long in the "Network key" field. Use numerals, letters, and other characters, and combine capitals and lower-case letters.
- If you want to offer your guests internet access that is not password-protected:
- Enable the option "public WiFi hotspot".
- For the "Name of the WiFi hotspot (SSID)", enter the name that guests should see when they search for wireless networks.
- Click "Additional Settings" further below.
- If you would like to receive notification about devices registering with and deregistering from your guest access, enable the option "Enabling the push service".
- If you want guests to see a captive portal, enable the option "Display Captive Portal" and customize it.
- If you do not want the guest access to be permanently enabled, select when the guest access should be disabled automatically.
- If wireless devices should be allowed to exchange data with each other, enable the option "Wireless devices may communicate".
- If you also want to allow other forms of internet access, disable the option "Restrict internet applications".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
2 Regulating internet use for the guest access
All devices in the guest network are assigned the "Guest" access profile in the FRITZ!Box parental controls. You can adjust the "Guest" access profile, for example if you want to limit internet use in the guest network to certain times or block access to certain websites:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (Edit) button for the "Guest" profile.
- Select the option "restricted" for the "Period".
- Click the "Internet use blocked" button and then hold down the left mouse button while you drag the mouse across the areas of the timetable when internet use should be blocked.
Fig.: Internet access allowed at night and blocked in the morning
- If you want to block access to certain websites, enable the options "Filter websites" and "Block websites (blacklist)".
Note:You can edit the blacklist on the "Lists" tab in the menu "Internet > Filters". It may contain up to 500 web addresses that must be separated by a space (for example "bootleg.com xxx.com weapons.net").
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.
AVM Section Navigation