FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up the FRITZ!Box for Internet access via USB tethering
Not only can the FRITZ!Box establish its own Internet connections over a mobile broadband dongle, it can also use the existing Internet connection of a mobile broadband dongle (USB tethering). This way all of the network devices in your home network can use the Internet connection of the mobile broadband dongle, although the FRITZ!Box does not establish the Internet connection.
Note:If the FRITZ!Box displays Internet access via USB tethering, then the FRITZ!Box can only control the mobile broadband dongle via USB tethering.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Depending on the mobile network operator, Internet telephony and all other functions for which a public IP address is required (for example incoming VPN connections) are either available or available only to a limited extent.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mobile Communications" in the "Internet" menu.
- Enable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile communications dongle by USB tethering".
- Click "Apply" to save your settings.
2 Configuring the mobile broadband dongle
- Set up the Internet connection in your mobile broadband dongle. Enter the PIN for the SIM card and, if required, the account information you received from your mobile network operator in the user interface of your mobile broadband modem.
Note:The FRITZ!Box shows you under "Internet > Mobile Communications" which IP address to use to open the user interface of the mobile broadband dongle. You can find information on configuring the mobile broadband dongle in its manual, or consult the manufacturer directly.