FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
Configuring FRITZ!Box for internet access via an Android smartphone (USB tethering)
Not only can the FRITZ!Box establish internet connections using a mobile broadband dongle, it can also use the existing mobile internet connection of an Android smartphone (USB tethering).
This way all devices in the FRITZ!Box home network can use the Android smartphone's internet connection to access the internet should your conventional internet connection ever be down and you do not have a mobile broadband dongle.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Android 4.1 or later is installed on the smartphone.
- The Android smartphone must support the USB tethering function.
Note:Not all smartphones support USB tethering. Refer to the manufacturer of the smartphone for information on USB tethering, for example consult the manual.
- Depending on the mobile network operator, internet telephony and all other functions for which a public IP address is required (for example incoming VPN connections) are either available or available only to a limited extent.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting a smartphone with the FRITZ!Box
- Use a USB cable to connect the Android smartphone to the USB port on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring the smartphone
- Tap the "Settings" symbol on the home screen of the Android smartphone.
- Tap "Wireless and networks" and then "Tethering & portable hotspot".
- Enable the option "USB tethering".
The Android smartphone will now share the internet connection with the device you connected using the USB cable.
Note:If you no longer want to share the internet connection, you can either disable the option "USB tethering" or remove the USB cable again.
3 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Mobile Communications" in the "Internet" menu.
- Enable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile communications dongle by USB tethering".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
The FRITZ!Box will now establish all internet connections using the Android smartphone you connected to it.
Note:If you no longer want the FRITZ!Box to use the smartphone's internet connection, disable the option "Internet connection via smartphone or mobile communications dongle by USB tethering" in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "Internet > Mobile Communications".