Integrating FRITZ!Powerline into the Mesh via Wi-Fi
Integrate your FRITZ!Powerline adapter into the Mesh of your FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi to increase the Wi-Fi range of your home network easily and efficiently. As a Mesh Repeater, the FRITZ!Powerline adapter then automatically adopts all of the settings from the FRITZ!Box (Mesh Master), such as Wi-Fi access information and guest access. In the Mesh, your wireless devices automatically connect to the wireless access point with the best Wi-Fi reception.
From then on, you can simply make changes in the Mesh in the Mesh Master. The Mesh Master automatically transmits the new settings to all of the Mesh Repeaters. If you still want to access the user interface of the Mesh Repeater, use the password from the Mesh Masters to log into the Mesh Repeater.
As soon as the FRITZ!Powerline adapter is integrated into the Mesh, it is marked in the user interface of the Mesh Master with the Mesh symbol :
Fig.: Mesh overview with FRITZ!Powerline in wireless bridge mode
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
1 Loading the factory settings of the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
In order to perform the following steps, the FRITZ!Powerline adapter must be set to factory settings:
- Plug the FRITZ!Powerline adapter into a power outlet.
- Wait about 1 minute until the "WLAN" LED remains lit.
- Push the corresponding button on the device:
Model Button Duration FRITZ!Powerline 540E / 546E "WLAN/WPS" and "Powerline · Security" 10 seconds FRITZ!Powerline 1240E "WLAN-WPS/Powerline · Security" 15 seconds FRITZ!Powerline 1260E "Connect" 15 seconds
- All of the LEDs flash once during this process. The "Power" LED or "WLAN" LED remains lit as soon as the factory settings have finished loading.
2 Setting up the FRITZ!Powerline adapter as a wireless bridge
Connecting the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Use a network cable to connect the FRITZ!Powerline adapter to a LAN port in your home network (for example on FRITZ!Box or FRITZ!Repeater).
Setting up the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
- Click "Access to Home Network" in the user interface of FRITZ!Powerline. If you are asked for a password, enter the password for the user interface of the Mesh Master.
- Click the "Change the Type of Connection" button in the "Access to Home Network" menu.
- Enable the option "Wireless bridge" and click "Next".
- In the list "Wi-Fi Networks Found" ("Radio Networks (WLANs) Found"), select the name (SSID) of the Mesh Master and click "Next".
- Configure the Wi-Fi settings and click "Next".
- Click "Finish" to save the settings.
- The "WLAN" LED on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter remains lit as soon as setup is completed.
- Clear the LAN connection between the FRITZ!Powerline adapter and Mesh Master.
3 Adding the FRITZ!Powerline adapter to the Mesh by button
- Briefly push the connect button on the FRITZ!Powerline adapter (for about 1 second) and let go of it again. When you release the connect button, all of the LEDs start to flash.
FRITZ!Powerline model Connect button FRITZ!Powerline 1260E Connect FRITZ!Powerline 1240E WLAN - WPS
Powerline - Security
FRITZ!Powerline 546E WLAN · WPS FRITZ!Powerline 540E
- Within 2 minutes: Push and hold down the connect button on the Mesh Master until its confirmation LED lights up. Other LEDs may also light up.
FRITZ!Box model Connect button Confirmation LED FRITZ!Box 7590, 7530, 7520, 6890, 6850, 6660 Connect / WPS Connect / WPS FRITZ!Box 6591, 6590 Connect / WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7490, 7430, 5491, 5490 WLAN WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6490, 6430 WLAN WPS WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7560, 7362 SL WLAN WLAN / DECT FRITZ!Box 7583, 7582, 7580 WPS WLAN / Info FRITZ!Box 6820, 4040, 4020, 3490 WPS WLAN
- The process is complete as soon as the Mesh Master marks the FRITZ!Powerline adapter with the Mesh symbol in the Mesh overview.
4 Finding the ideal location for the FRITZ!Powerline adapter
To extend the range as much as possible, the FRITZ!Powerline adapter requires a fast and stable Wi-Fi connection to the Mesh Master:
- Position the FRITZ!Powerline adapter where the quality of the Mesh Master's Wi-Fi signal is good. You can find tips on positioning it in the guide Finding the ideal location for the Mesh Repeater.
AVM Section Navigation