FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Setting up a VPN connection to FRITZ!Box in Android
VPN (Virtual Private Network) allows you to establish a secure connection over the internet from your Android smartphone or tablet to your FRITZ!Box and then access all of the devices and services in the home network of your FRITZ!Box.
Whenever a VPN connection is active, all web requests from the Android device are also routed over the FRITZ!Box. This enables you to access all internet services, such as email and online banking, with your Android device even in public wireless hotspots, while protecting you against data interception and manipulation.
Note:In this guide we show you how to set up a VPN connection to the FRITZ!Box using Android 6.0.1 ("Marshmallow"). If you have further questions about VPN connections in Android, contact the manufacturer of your Android device directly.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Android 4.0 or later is installed on the smartphone or tablet.
- The FRITZ!Box must establish its own connection to the internet using a modem (for example a DSL or cable modem).
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider.
Important:The FRITZ!Box cannot be accessed from the internet over IPv4 when used on an internet connection with DS-Lite tunnel. If a DS-Lite tunnel is enabled, this is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Setting up MyFRITZ!
With MyFRITZ! you can even access the FRITZ!Box over the internet at all times if the FRITZ!Box receives a different public IP address from your internet service provider on a regular basis:
Note:If you already use a different dynamic DNS service, you can also use this service instead of MyFRITZ!.
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
Both ends of a VPN connection must have IP addresses in different IP networks. VPN communication cannot occur if your Android device is connected to a router (for example another FRITZ!Box) that uses the same IP network as your FRITZ!Box.
Note:All FRITZ!Boxes use the IP network 192.168.178.0 in the factory settings.
Assign an IP address to your FRITZ!Box that differs from the IP addresses of the routers used by your Android device to connect the FRITZ!Box, for example 192.168.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0):
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Setting up a VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box
Set up a different user for each VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Click the (Edit) button for the user who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN. If you have not set up any users yet:
- Click the "Add User" button.
- Enter a name and password for the user in the corresponding fields.
- Enable the option "VPN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box sets up the VPN rights for this FRITZ!Box user.
A window displaying the VPN settings for the FRITZ!Box user then opens automatically.
Note:You can open this window any time by clicking "Show VPN Settings" in the settings for the FRITZ!Box user.
3 Setting up a VPN connection in Android
- Set up the VPN connection on the Android device using the VPN settings displayed for the FRITZ!Box user in the "VPN settings" popup window in the FRITZ!Box user interface:
Note:You can access the VPN settings if you select "System > FRITZ!Box Users" in the user interface, call up the settings for the user, and click "Show VPN Settings".
Fig.: Setting up a VPN connection
4 Establishing a VPN connection
- Tap the "Settings" symbol on the home screen of the Android device.
- Tap "More settings" in the "Settings" menu and then tap "VPN".
- Tap the name of the VPN connection you set up (FRITZ!Box).
- For the "User name", enter the name of the FRITZ!Box user (smith) who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN.
Note:If you select an entry from the word prediction for the user name and Android automatically adds a space to it, delete the space.
- Enter the password for the FRITZ!Box user (secret) as the "Password".
- Click the "Connect" button:
Fig.: Establishing a VPN connection
- The VPN connection is established as soon as the VPN symbol is displayed in the toolbar:
Fig.: VPN connection is established