FRITZ!Box 3490 Service - Knowledge Base
Configuring FRITZ!Box for use with an SDSL/SHDSL line
With an additional SDSL or SHDSL modem, you can also use your FRITZ!Box on an SDSL line. Since the FRITZ!Box establishes and controls its own Internet connection over the modem, all FRITZ!Box functions (such as Internet telephony, firewall) are also available without restriction in this operating mode.
Note:The standards SDSL (Symmetric Digital Subscriber Line) and SHDSL (Single-Pair Highspeed Digital Subscriber Line) allow data to be transmitted at the same speed in both directions.
1 Connecting the FRITZ!Box with the modem and computer
- Connect the modem to your Internet connection according to the instructions provided by your Internet service provider.
- Use a network cable to connect the LAN port on the modem to the "LAN 1" port on the FRITZ!Box.
- Connect a computer to the FRITZ!Box over wireless LAN or use a network cable to connect it to an available LAN port on the FRITZ!Box.
2 Configuring Internet access
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Account Information" in the "Internet" menu.
- Check whether your Internet service provider is displayed in the drop-down list. With some regional settings, not all of the preconfigured Internet providers are displayed until you select "More Internet service providers".
- If your Internet service provider is displayed:
- Select your Internet service provider and enter the account information you received from your Internet service provider in the corresponding fields.
- Click on "Change connection settings".
- Enable the option "Via an external modem" in the "Internet connection" section.
- If your Internet service provider is not displayed:
- Select "Other Internet service provider".
- Enable the option "Connection to an external modem or router" in the "Connect via" or "Connection" section.
- Enable the option "Establish own connection to the Internet" in the "Operating Mode" section.
- If account information is required, enter the account information you received from your Internet service provider in the corresponding fields.
- If account information is not required, enable the option "No".
- If your Internet service provider requires you to use a particular VLAN ID, click on "Change connection settings", enable the option "Use VLAN for Internet access", and enter the VLAN ID.
- Enter the speeds of your Internet connection in the "Downstream" and "Upstream" fields.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box uses the account information you entered to establish the Internet connection. Configuration is concluded when the message "The Internet connection check was successful" is displayed.