FRITZ!Box 3490 Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up a VPN connection to FRITZ!Box in Linux
The vpnc plugin for the GNOME NetworkManager allows you to establish a secure VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection over the internet from a Linux computer to your FRITZ!Box and then access all of the devices and services in the home network of your FRITZ!Box.
The vpnc plugin is free of charge for Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu, and other Linux distributions.
Example values used in this guide
In this guide we show you how to connect a computer with Ubuntu 14.04 to the FRITZ!Box. When you set up your connection, replace the values used in this example with actual ones.
- MyFRITZ! domain name of the FRITZ!Box:
- User name of the FRITZ!Box user:
- Password of the FRITZ!Box user:
- Shared secret of the FRITZ!Box user:
Requirements / Restrictions
- The packages vpnc, network-manager-vpnc and network-manager-vpnc-gnome are installed on the computer.
Note:You can install the packages in Ubuntu as follows:
sudo apt-get install network-manager-vpnc
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider.
Important:The FRITZ!Box is not accessible from the internet over IPv4 when used on a DS-Lite internet connection. When DS-Lite is active, the status "IPv4 over DS Lite" is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Setting up MyFRITZ!
With MyFRITZ! you can even access your FRITZ!Box over the internet at all times if the FRITZ!Box receives a different public IP address from your internet service provider on a regular basis:
Note:If you already use a different dynamic DNS service, you can also use this service instead of MyFRITZ!.
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
Both ends of a VPN connection must have IP addresses from different IP networks. VPN communication cannot occur if your computer is connected to a router (for example another FRITZ!Box) with the same IP network as your FRITZ!Box.
Note:All FRITZ!Boxes use the IP network 192.168.178.0 in the factory settings.
Assign an IP address to your FRITZ!Box that is not the same as the IP addresses of the routers you will use to connect to the FRITZ!Box, for example 192.168.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0):
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Setting up a VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box
In the FRITZ!Box, set up a different user for each VPN connection.
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Click the (Edit) button for the user who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN. If you have not set up any users yet:
- Click the "Add User" button.
- Enter a name and password of your choice for the user in the corresponding fields.
- Enable the option "VPN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box sets up the VPN rights for this FRITZ!Box user.
A window displaying the VPN settings for the FRITZ!Box user then opens automatically.
Note:You can call up the window any time by clicking "Show VPN Settings" in the settings for the FRITZ!Box user.
3 Setting up and establishing a VPN connection on the computer
Set up the VPN connection on the computer using the VPN settings displayed in the FRITZ!Box user interface for the FRITZ!Box user:
Note:You can access the VPN settings if you select "System > FRITZ!Box Users" in the user interface, call up the settings for the user, and click "Show VPN Settings".
- Open the "System Settings" menu.
- Click "Network" in the "System Settings" menu.
- Click the plus sign below the list with the existing connections.
- Select "VPN" from the drop-down list "Interface" and then click "Create".
- In the "Choose a VPN Connection Type" window, select the entry "Cisco Compatible VPN (vpnc)" and then click "Create".
- The window "Editing VPN connection 1" opens.
- Enter a name of your choice (FRITZ!Box-VPN) in the "Connection name" field.
- Enter the MyFRITZ! domain name of the FRITZ!Box (pi80ewgfi72d2os42.myfritz.net) in the "Gateway" field.
- Enter the user name of the FRITZ!Box user (John Smith) in the field "Username".
- Select the entry "Saved" from the drop-down list next to the "User password" field and enter the password for the FRITZ!Box user (secret) in the field.
- Enter the user name of the FRITZ!Box user (John Smith) in the "Group name" field.
- Select "Saved" from the drop-down list next to the "Group password" field and enter the "shared secret" of the FRITZ!Box user (Zj7hPCouK65IrPU4) in the field. The "shared secret" is displayed in the VPN settings of the user in the section "iPhone, iPad or iPod touch".
- Click the "Save" button to complete the configuration.
- Click on the on/off slider for the VPN connection to establish the connection.