- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7583 VDSL
- FRITZ!Box 7583
- FRITZ!Box 7582
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7530 AX
- FRITZ!Box 7530
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 7360
- FRITZ!Box 7340
- FRITZ!Box 7330
- FRITZ!Box 7272
- FRITZ!Box 6890 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6850 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6660 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
Setting up a VPN connection to FRITZ!Box in Apple OS iOS (e.g. iPhone)
You can use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to establish a tap- and tamper-proof connection over the internet between your iPhone, iPad or your iPod touch and your FRITZ!Box. This allows you to access all of the devices and data in your home network with your mobile device even when you are away from home.
In addition, when a VPN connection is active, all web requests are routed over the encrypted connection to the FRITZ!Box, which then resolves them over its internet connection. This means that you can use sensitive services such as email or banking in public Wi-Fi hotspots with the same peace of mind as if you were connected to your FRITZ!Box via Wi-Fi at home.
The configuration instructions in this guide apply to iOS 14.4. For further information on VPN functions in iOS, refer to Apple.
Requirements / Restrictions
- iOS 3.1 or later is installed on the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider.
Note:All instructions on configuration and settings given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box.
Setting up MyFRITZ!
With MyFRITZ! you can access the FRITZ!Box over the internet at all times even if the FRITZ!Box receives a different public IP address from your internet service provider at regular intervals:
Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP network
Both ends of a VPN connection must have IP addresses from different IP networks. VPN communication cannot occur if your iOS device is connected to a router (for example another FRITZ!Box) that uses the same IP network as your FRITZ!Box.
Note:All FRITZ!Boxes use the IP network 192.168.178.0 in the factory settings.
Assign an IP address to your FRITZ!Box that is different from the IP addresses of the routers you use to connect your iOS device to the FRITZ!Box, for example 192.168.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0):
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter the desired IP address and subnet mask.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Setting up a VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box
Set up a separate user for each VPN connection in the FRITZ!Box:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Click the (Edit) button for the user who intends to connect to the FRITZ!Box via VPN. If you have not set up any users yet:
- Click the "Add User" button.
- Enter a name and password for the user in the corresponding fields.
- Enable the option "VPN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box sets up the VPN rights for this FRITZ!Box user.
Afterwards, a window displaying the VPN settings for the FRITZ!Box user opens automatically.
Note:You can open this window any time by clicking "Show VPN Settings" in the settings for the FRITZ!Box user.
3 Setting up a VPN connection in iOS
- Set up the VPN connection on the iOS device using the VPN settings displayed for the FRITZ!Box user in the FRITZ!Box user interface:
Note:You can access the VPN settings if you select "System > FRITZ!Box Users" in the user interface, call up the settings for the user, and click "Show VPN Settings".
Fig.: Setting up a VPN connection
4 Establishing a VPN connection
- Tap the "Settings" symbol on the home screen of the iOS device.
- Use the on/off slider to enable "VPN":
Fig.: Establishing a VPN connection
- The VPN connection is established as soon as the VPN symbol is displayed in the status bar:
Fig.: VPN connection is established
AVM Section Navigation