FRITZ!Box 3370 Service - Knowledge Base
- FRITZ!Box 7590
- FRITZ!Box 7581
- FRITZ!Box 7560
- FRITZ!Box 7490
- FRITZ!Box 7430
- FRITZ!Box 7390
- FRITZ!Box 7369
- FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6810 LTE
- FRITZ!Box 6591 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6590 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable
- FRITZ!Box 5491
Setting up wireless guest access (private hotspot) in the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box's wireless guest access offers your guests a private hotspot and allows them to enjoy secure internet access. In this case, the FRITZ!Box provides an additional wireless network (WiFi) with separate security settings so that you do not need to disclose the network key for your private wireless network.
The wireless devices used by your guests (for example notebooks, smartphones) are completely isolated from your home network. They cannot access your devices or the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Requirements / Restrictions
- Guest access is not available if the FRITZ!Box uses the internet connection of another router ("IP client mode"). If the FRITZ!Box uses the internet connection of another FRITZ!Box, proceed as described in this guide.
- Devices in the guest network must be configured to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
- IPTV playback and other FRITZ!Box functions (such as the MAC address filter, port sharing, telephony) are not available when using guest access.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring guest access
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Guest Access" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable the guest access.
- For the "Name of the guest radio network (SSID)", enter the name that guests should see when they search for wireless networks.
- Select the encryption method from the drop-down list "Encryption". WPA2 encryption offers the best security.
- Enter a password of your choice that is between 8 and 63 characters long in the "Network key" field.
Important:To ensure optimal security, the password should be at least 20 characters long and contain capital and lower-case letters (but not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, é, í), digits, and other characters.
- Disable the option "Restrict internet applications: Only surfing and mail allowed" if you would like to allow guests to use other forms of internet access.
- If wireless devices should be allowed to exchange data with each other, enable the option "The wireless devices connected with the guest access can communicate with each other".
- If you want guest access to be disabled automatically, enable the corresponding option and define when it should be disabled.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now guests who know the name of the guest wireless network (SSID) and the network key can use your private hotspot.
Note:You can use the Push Service (under "System > Push Service" in the user interface) if you would like to receive daily emails that tell you which wireless devices used your private hotspot.
2 Regulating internet use for the guest access
All devices in the guest network are assigned the "Guest" access profile in the FRITZ!Box parental controls. You can adjust the "Guest" access profile, for example if you would like to limit internet use in the guest network to certain times or block access to certain websites:
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Filters" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click on the "Access Profiles" tab and then the (edit) button for the "Guest" profile.
- Enable the option "restricted" in the "Time Limit" section, and then hold down the left mouse button while you drag the mouse across the areas of the timetable when internet use should be blocked.
Fig.: Internet use blocked during class hours and in the evening
- If you want to block access to certain websites, enable the options "Filter websites" and "Block websites (blacklist)".
Note:You can edit the blacklist on the "Lists" tab in the menu "Internet > Filters". It may contain up to 500 web addresses that must be separated by a space (for example "bootleg.com xxx.com weapons.net").
- Click "OK" to save the access profile.