Setting up FRITZ!App Cam
You can use FRITZ!App Cam to easily transform your Android smartphone or tablet into a webcam. FRITZ!App Cam automatically records what happens in front of the camera and makes it available on a web page. You can then easily call it up in a web browser in the home network or over the internet.
Important:We no longer develop or support FRITZ!App Cam. This is why we no longer offer the app in the Google Play Store. However, if FRITZ!App Cam is still installed on your devices, you can continue to use it. As an alternative to FRITZ!App Cam, we recommend using the app Alfred Home Security Camera, for example. We have successfully tested it with the FRITZ!Box.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The smartphone or tablet must have at least one camera.
- Android 4.0 or later is installed on the smartphone or tablet.
1 Setting up MyFRITZ!
2 Configuring the FRITZ!Box to allow applications to access it
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box is configured to allow applications to access it. If you changed the FRITZ!Box's settings, configure it so that it will once again allow applications to access it:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Enable the option "Allow access for applications" in the "Access Settings in the Home Network" section. If the section is not displayed, enable the Advanced View.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
3 Setting up a wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box
The smartphone or tablet must be connected with the FRITZ!Box's wireless network when you set up the app (not the guest network):
- Set up the wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box.
4 Installing FRITZ!App Cam
- Download the last released version of FRITZ!App Cam as an APK file from the following address and install the app on your smartphone or tablet:
- Start FRITZ!App Cam.
- If you want to protect access to the camera image from the internet with a password, enable password protection and enter a password in the "password" field.
- Define whether "HTTP" (standard) or "HTTPS" should be used to access the camera images.
- If you want to use a port other than 8080 (standard) to access the camera image, enter the number of the port to be used for the connection in the "Port" field.
- Enter the name and password of a FRITZ!Box user who is authorized to access the FRITZ!Box user interface ("FRITZ!Box settings").
Note:You can edit the access rights of FRITZ!Box users in the FRITZ!Box user interface under "System > FRITZ!Box Users".
- If there are several FRITZ!Boxes in the home network, FRITZ!App Cam asks you to select a FRITZ!Box. In this case, select the FRITZ!Box that establishes the internet connection; it must also be the one you configured MyFRITZ! in.
- Tap the "OK" button to complete the configuration.
When you start FRITZ!App Cam, the app displays the current camera image. Now you can also view it over the internet. You can use the "Share" function in the app to send the MyFRITZ! Access link for FRITZ!App Cam to your friends or family.
Note:With some Android devices, you can also use camera functions such as lighting and focus with FRITZ!App Cam.
5 Saving images to FRITZ!NAS
The following steps are only necessary if you want to save images from FRITZ!App Cam to a USB storage device connected to the FRITZ!Box:
Note:You can only save the images if you are using a FRITZ!Box with a USB port.
Setting up FRITZ!Box users
So that FRITZ!App Cam can save images to a USB storage device connected to the FRITZ!Box, set up a user for FRITZ!App Cam in the FRITZ!Box that is allowed to access FRITZ!NAS:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" or "FRITZ!Box password" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "User" or "FRITZ!Box Users" tab.
- Click the "Add User" button and enter a name for the FRITZ!App Cam user (for example FritzAppCam) in the field "User name".
- Enter a password for the FRITZ!App Cam user in the "Password" field.
- Enable the option "Access to NAS contents".
- Click the "Add Directory" button.
- Enable the option "Add Directory" and select the directory where FRITZ!App Cam should save the images.
- In the "Directory" section, assign the user read and write permission to the storage.
- Click "OK".
- Click "Apply" or "OK" to save the settings.
Setting up FRITZ!App Cam
- Start FRITZ!App Cam.
- Tap the menu symbol on the top right and then tap "Settings".
- Tap "Management" in the "Settings" menu.
- In the "Save recordings" section, select whether only images, only videos, or images and videos should be saved in FRITZ!NAS.
- Tap "FRITZ!NAS settings (FTP)".
- Enter the user name and password for the FRITZ!Box user that you set up for FRITZ!App Cam.
- Tap the "..." button that corresponds to the "Directory" field and select the directory where FRITZ!App Cam should save the images.
- Tap the "Save" button to complete the configuration.
AVM Section Navigation