Streaming media on devices in the home network
Digital pictures, videos recording vacations or other memories, and all kinds of music: most of us have loads of these for use at home. How would you like to play back all these data wherever you are - on a tablet, smartphone, computer, on wireless speakers or a smart TV?
With the FRITZ!Box you already have the perfect media hub at home! The network it provides makes it easy to transmit all of your contents to any appropriate device in your home network. Using a FRITZ!Fon and the free FRITZ!App Media you also have full control of all your multimedia content.
Configuring the media server
This article describes the most important steps of configuring the media server, so you can store all your data. Click here for a detailed step-by-step guide on the example of the FRITZ!Box 7490.
The steps at a glance
- Disable the USB Remote Connection for USB storage devices in the FRITZ!Box.
- Copy your media collection to a USB memory stick or hard drive.
- Reconnect the stick or hard drive with the USB port of your FRITZ!Box.
- Enable the media server in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Organize the data on your storage device by creating a kind of index so that you can find them later.
Now you can access stored music, photos and videos with all devices used in the home network.
Web radio and podcasts
It's also possible listen to web radio stations on suitable playback devices or software via the media server of the FRITZ!Box You are a fan podcasts? They can also be played over the FRITZ!Box media server. For configuration instructions, please see also the Knowledge Base.